Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Peek at My Week {10-13-13)

I don't know about you, but I am FINALLY beginning to feel like I've found my groove this year!  We are on the 7th week of school so it's about time, isn't it?  I guess I forget how unsettling the beginning of the year can be when everyone is so well "trained" from the year before (myself included!).

Here's a peek at my upcoming week...

Writing:  We will be working on making the second revisions to our Mystery Narrative this week.  I really have to hand it to my kiddos, they have been rising to the challenge of revising their writing a few times.  This past week, I heard them talk about how they added onomatopoeia, a repeating line, or the Power of Three to their first revisions.  Music to a writing teacher's ears, I tell 'ya!

This week, we will be working on making sure we have engaging grabbers to get our reader's attention and that we have used dialogue correctly.  Mary at Fit to be Fourth had a great blog post about dialogue on her blog yesterday.
She recommends using the mentor text, The Wolf Who Cried Boy, for learning effective alternatives to the word "said."
The Wolf Who Cried Boy
Pen Pals:  I am so excited to partner up with Lisa from Grade 4 Buzz to be class pen pals this year!!  Last week we received the letters from her students and now we are writing back.  Let me tell you, the room was DEAD SILENT as my kiddos read their pen pal letters and began writing back!!  Talk about an authentic writing experience -- they took this job very seriously!!
Lisa was even so kind to send a long a book about Canada that her students had all signed for our class!
Looking forward to cultivating this international friendship!  :)

So now it's your turn to link up and give us a Peek at Your Week!


I hope you have a truly wonderful week!

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I love the pen pal idea! Your kiddos are going to love writing the old-fashioned way! I am going to join your linky in just a few minutes! I wanted to invite you to mine as well! Every Day is Like Sunday Linky
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a pen pal in California. I haven't heard from her in about a year. My kids always enjoyed writing to their pen pals. I love the idea of sending a book!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time for stopping by! I would love it if you would leave me a comment to let me know that you were here. (Please make sure that you are not a "No Reply Blogger" so that I can email you back.)